Monday, October 5, 2009

Day 6: Life is a Temporary Assignment

We've touched on the topic of Day 6 in previous chapters, but it really comes to life here.  The key verse is, "So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen.  For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:18 (NIV).  It reminds us that this life is not the end of the road.  Instead, God has something much better in heaven. 

This verse looks so simple when written down (like the common sense it is), but feels so hard in practice.  That's why this day's question asks us to think about how we should change the way we're living since we know that life on earth is a temporary assignment.  For me, I can reuse an answer from a previous day's question - I can stop putting so much stock into what others think about me.  It is a dangerous road to travel and can lead you far away from God's purpose.  In my case, it was like "keeping up with the Jones'" but not in the material weath sense.  I didn't care if my neighbors had a new car, but I would take notice if I was left off a meeting invite at work.  I would be happy if a friend got a cute new outfit (even if I hadn't been shopping in months), but I'd even wonder what other drivers thought as they passed me on the highway (maybe they thought I was too slow or couldn't drive).  These are things that in the grand scheme of life do not matter one bit.  Yet, I would think about them.  Keeping the Christian lens focused on heaven should tell me to ignore these wordly situations, focus on the God, focus on heaven, and keep it moving.

What about you?  How are you going to change your perspective?

No comments:

Post a Comment