Sunday, October 4, 2009

Day 5: Seeing Life through God's View

We're almost a week into our journey to purpose, using "The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren as a guide.  I hope you've been learning some new things about yourself and are growing closer to God.

Day 5 introduces the idea that life is both a test and a trust.  We are continually tested from the way the we react to a friend who just lost his job to the way you treat the waitress who still hasn't brought you the Diet Coke you asked for 10 minutes ago.  As Christians, it's up to us guard our reactions when life gets tough.  It's in these moments that God teaches us about ourselves and opens us up to receive even more of His blessings. 

God's entrusts us with many things during our earthly life - relationships, children, houses, clothes, money, etc.  We are called to be good stewards over these things, but that doesn't always happen.  Have there been times when you yelled at someone over something small just because YOU were having bad day or spent your last $75 on a cute pair of shoes knowing you should've used part of it for gas money instead?  God gave us things so that we could take care of them and perhaps use them to help Him blessing another person...not to be mistreated, hoarded, or used irresponsibly.

Today's question asks you to consider two things:
1. What's recently happened in your life that you now realize was a test from God?
2. What are the greatest matters God entrusted to you?

I can name a couple of situations in my life that feel like tests from God.  One is definitely my struggle in corporate America.  I realize that if I hadn't gone through that situation and really listened to God's voice, I would not be working toward my purpose at all.  In fact, this blog wouldn't exist either.  :-)  A few people have read that story and expressed how much it helped them take a look at their lives and their next moves.  It's amazing to hear how God turned tragedy into good.  Another situation is driving.  I'm usually a very patient person.  I try my best not to give in to road rage, but it's hard not to get annoyed when there are 20 minute construction delays, people cutting you off on the highway only to slow to 50mph once they get in front of you, or red lights stopping you almost every block.  In those instances, I try really hard to be patient and to thank God for whatever He's helping me avoid by putting these roadblocks in my way.  I've seen more than a handful of accidents on my direct route and wonder if it would've been me had I not gotten stopped by 3 red lights in a row or if my children didn't have to give me one more hug even though I was running late to work.  It can be difficult, but I try to be grateful for the tests I recognize...even if it means letting that car pass me rather than speeding up and blocking them in.  :-)

With the second question, the first thing that comes to my mind are my children.  God has given me a great responsibility to teach them and mold them so that they are believers in Jesus.  With so many outside influences in the world, that is a huge task, and I feel blessed that God chose me to do it.  I've also been blessed by some material things.  I was just complaining earlier today as I cleaned up a room that seems to magically reappear as dirty within 24 hours.  There were so many other things I'd rather do than clean, but then I realized how great it is to even have a house.  With so many families losing their homes or with the economy making it hard for some people to buy a home, I'm grateful to have a dirty room of my own to clean.  I do, however, think it's almost time to be a blessing to someone else by offering them a job as a maid a couple times a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment